Saturday 17 March 2012


Wagamama
Address
Sylvia Park dining lane
Mt Wellington Highway
Auckland
09 579 1949


Wagamama is a modern Asian (to me Japanese) diner.  For some reason I can’t call it a restaurant, maybe it’s because of the benches or their setup where you may be sitting right next total strangers without any space between you, but don’t get me wrong it doesn’t mean I didn’t like the whole atmosphere.  It is like when cooking style of East meets the contemporary style of West.  
We had dinner there on Friday16th of March 2012 and found the place very nice and clean.  I enjoyed the fact that although Wagamama is an Asian diner but people from the four corners of the glob work and dine there.  The waitresses who served us were very nice, friendly and polite.  As soon as we walked through the doors, they greeted us and directed us to a table that we liked.  
 Something that I found really interesting was their baby seats.  They are pockets that will be attached (screwed) to the table (see the photo).  It was something I had never seen before and thought was very clever. 

Entrée
Ebi Katsu $11.90
Ebi Katsu is fried, bread crumbed prawns served with a very nice sweet chilli souse.  The presentation of the dish was simple but stylish.  Just make sure that you squeeze the lemon veg all over the prawns and then dip it the souse.  It was fantastic.  

Food and Drinks
Chicken Katsu Curry $18.00
I have had chicken katsu curry in other Japanese restaurants before and compared to those Wagamama’s was just average.  It was the presentation of the dish that I enjoyed the most. The rice was like the body of a bird and the two pieces of fried chicken breasts filets looked like the wings of the bird.  It was a very clever arrangement.  I thought, if the rice had a bit of salt while cooking would have made a huge difference. 

Teriyaki soba with sirloin steak $23.20 Large Coke $5.20
The steak was very nice and tender, so good it would melt in your mouth.  I liked the whole dish and its presentation.  The vegetables where cooked to perfection, not too soft and not to raw either. 
Over all, I enjoyed the whole experience and the customer service was great but I think it was over priced.

No comments:

Post a Comment