Friday 9 March 2012


Me Ne Frego
Address
301 Manukau Rd
Epsom
Auckland City
09-630 6141

Me Ne Frego (I do not care) is a fully licensed & B.Y.O. Italian restaurant.  On Friday 9th of March 2012 me and three others went to there to have dinner.  It was my second time there and I have to say, I love the place.  The Menus are hand written, the food has genuine Italian flavour to it and everything around you has a hand/homemade feel to it.  There are a lot of photos of old Italian movies, actors and actresses which have hand written notes underneath them.  The “Reserved” table sign is stuck into a cork cut in half and I liked the idea of making the best use of what you’ve got.  Everything feels HOMELY here.  
When you go to have dinner in Me Ne Frego, you need to keep in mind that it is a small place (fits about 25 people) and most probably you’ll be sitting very close to other people.  On the other hand, there is only the chef and one kitchen hand and between them they do everything.  That includes taking the orders, cooking the food, serving the customers, etc.  So be prepared to be served after a while.


Starters
Chicken Liver $8.00
This plate is not what you might have in mind.  The chicken liver is in the form of pate spread on pieces of bread.   All I can say is that it tasted great.
Garlic Bread $8.00
Nothing spectacular, pieces of toast with herbs, garlic and olive oil.  (I liked the Chicken liver better).     

Food and Drinks
Scotch fillet with $35.00 Orange Juice $4.50
The medium Scotch fillet was with served with some homemade chips and a bowl of salad on the side.  The fillet was perfect; the way it was cooked, portion, taste and the presentation was great.  The other interesting thing for me was the chips, which looked and tasted just like homemade chips and nothing like that frozen pre-cooked chips.   
Ragu  $20.00
Another great dish, it looked and tasted nothing like all the pasta that I had before.  
Squid pasta with back sauce $20.00 
This dish was not that great for my taste. I believe that was because, the black sauce was made of squid ink which has given the spaghetti a strong seafood smell and flavor.  Not my cope of tea.

We ordered some house wine as well which I thought that it went great with the food.  Don’t remember the price (surprise, surprise).  
The whole experience was great.  I can dine in Me Ne Frego any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment